ACI, FEMA, the American Red Cross, Middlesex County Office of Emergency Management and other stakeholders are organizing an overnight emergency shelter experience. This exercise will assist in an ongoing effort to improve the ability to provide service and support to individuals with disabilities during disasters.
- Breakfast will be provided.
- Shuttles will be available at the New Brunswick train station.
We are looking for 50 participants and 50 volunteers to assist with the event. Volunteers are needed from 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM on Saturday (shifts are 4 hours long) and participants will stay overnight from 8:00 PM on Friday to 8:00 AM on Saturday.
UPDATE: All volunteer shifts have been filled. Registration is now only open to participants.
How will I get there?
The shelter is not an Access Link route (something to discuss in the event of a real disaster).
- If you are not driving yourself, the ACI office will serve as a pick up and drop off center. Please arrive at our center by 6:30pm on Friday evening and arrange for pick up from ACI at 8:30 am on Saturday morning. We are located at 629 Amboy Ave in Edison, NJ. Parking is located in the back of the building. Please use the back entrance, we are the first office on the right as you enter the building.
- Middlesex County will be providing shuttle service from ACI using their new buses which accommodate 14 wheelchairs and have two loading areas.
- For those you coming by train to the New Brunswick station, there will be a Rutgers shuttle bus driven by one of the public safety staff waiting at the train station on Wall Street. Wall Street is in back of the train station and parallels Albany Street. (Click here for a map and the schedule for the NJ Transit North East Corridor). Please plan to be at this location at 7pm. The shuttle will also do a return run to this location in the morning.
What should I bring with me?
Please bring the items you would take with you in the event of a one day emergency evacuation. This would include medication, cell phone chargers, change of clothes, etc.
Where do I go when I get there?
You will dropped off at the entrance, please follow signs to the registration area.
If interested in participating, please fill out the form below.